Monday, May 23, 2016

From the heart of a CHILD LABOUR



My family has children four.
Ma says there ‘ll be one more
And we will be five of us
All working as child labours.

I do all the work in your home
Sweeping dusting night and day
All day I have to roam
Following orders come what may.

I walk you to the bus stop
You get in to go to the school,
My heart misses a throb
God !Will I die such a fool?

Why my parents sold me to you?
Why your parents bought me then?
Why you’ve everything in life?
Why I curse the ways of men?

Don’t we have the right to live?
Don’t we have a right to grow?
Don’t people have some sense?
To my parents they could say “NO”

If only you stand for me
 And tell your family to wake.
And let me also live my life
And let me not die on a stake!

If you are someone’s son ,
So am I, of God who is great!
If your life has all the fun
Then why so black is my fate?

If all those sitting here
Take a vow to say NO to those
Who force their kids to slave,
Who don’t know a child’s woes.

Then only I can be free
From slogs and toil and strife
Then only I can breathe
And love the magic called life

-22.07.12
This poem , recited by Surabhi of Ahlcon International School won the first prize in Zonals in the year 2013

2 comments: